This float plan form was developed by cruisers for cruisers with the purpose of making a clear compilation of information that can be used by your designated "float plan holder" as an aid in assisting you in case of an emergency of any kind on board your vessel.
This float plan is provided as a courtesy and does not attach responsibility for your vessel or its crew's safety to this website or the person you designate as float plan holder.
It is suggested that you fill in these sections now: VESSEL INFORMATION COMMUNICATION AND SAFETY EQUIPMENT PERSONS ON BOARD EMERGENCY CONTACTS
Emergencies crop up at the most unexpected time and anyone on board would be able to pick up this sheet and answer questions with out having to stop and think.
It is your choice who will "hold" your float plan -- a friend or relative you communicate with via e-mail, a land based station, or fellow cruiser. Please make sure they are someone with knowledge of how it works "out here" and are clear on your instructions. Be sure to let them know how you will communicate with them.
In filling out the form, if you are physically handing it to your float plan holder, just fill in the blanks. If e-mailing back to a person who already has the float plan outline form just number from 1-38 and type the answers. There is no need to duplicate the questions. If they don't have a copy, forward this one.
In a perfect world you should have the completed form in the hands of the float plan holder the day before your passage, which will give the float plan holder a chance to ask any questions they may have about your information.
This form is brand new and we encourage suggestions and comments on how it worked for you. We will, as time permits, improve the form and process. Please feel free to share this form with other cruisers in your travels. This is the only way we will get it out there and we all know what Capt. Ron said "If it's going to happen, it will happen out there."
Finally, BE SURE TO CLOSE YOUR FLOAT PLAN WITH YOUR FLOAT PLAN HOLDER WHEN YOU REACH YOUR DESTINATION.
1. Boat Name ____________________________________________________
2. Home Port _____________________________________________________
3. Doc/Registration #________________________________________________
4. Type of Boat (sail/power/mono/multi hull) ____________________________
5. Make and year___________________________________________________
6. Length______ __ 7. Draft_____ ____ 8. Number of masts___________
9. Dodger color_________ 10. Hull Color _______________ 11. Deck Color _______
12. Other Identifying features_______________________________________________
COMMUNICATION AND SAFETY EQUIPMENT:
13. VHF y/n channel monitored___________________
14. SSB Transceiver y/n Call sign________________
15. SSB receive only y/n _________________________
16. Sat. Phone y/n #__________________________________________
17. Cell Phone y/n _____________________________________________
18. Onboard e-mail address_______________________________________
19. Land E-mail address_________________________________________________________________
20. Life raft y/n
21. Dinghy y/n Make _____________________ Engine ____________________
22. life vests y/n 23. Epirb y/n 24. Flares y/n
PERSONS ON BOARD
25. Name / Nationality / age / M/F / General Health Conditions
extend as needed
26. Point of departure_______________________ Date/est. time_____________
27. Destination ______________________________ Date/est time ___________
28. Any planned stops? y/n Where? __________________________________________________________________
29. Name(s) of Companion boat(s)___________________________________________
UNDERWAY CHECK IN PLANS
30. Check in with N. W. Caribbean Net daily y/n Will you check in at 23:45 UTC y/n
31. Check in with other boats daily y/n
32. Will you be sending daily e-mails y/n
Receiver's e-mail address______________________________________________
33. Other plans for communication _________________________________________
MISSED CHECK IN AND PLAN OF ACTION
34. At what point do you want the Float Plan Holder to take action in your behalf if you do not maintain your underway check-in plan._________________________________
35. What do you want the holder of your float plan to do if your response to #34 occurs ________________________________________________________________________
36. Name / relationship / Phone number / e-mail address
37. Anything else that could be helpful to know about you or your vessel on passage?________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
38. BE SURE TO CLOSE YOUR FLOAT PLAN WHEN YOU REACH YOUR DESTINATION!!